Churches Together AGM
The annual general meeting of Churches Together in Hazel Grove was held on 11th July at the United Reformed Church and people from all the member churches attended. Chris Chesham from St Peter's Catholic Church had been invited to talk on the work of Oasis for Carers (based at the Evron Centre in Cale Green) and Churches Together made a donation.
Richard [Lawry] as chairman summarised the events of the past year, including:
- Carol Singing in December at Sainsbury's which raised funds for Wish Upon a Star.
- Our annual Unity Service held at St. Peter’s Church; the collection was split between Sue’s Magic Bullets for Christies and Oasis for Carers.
- The Lenten Course entitled Handing on the Torch; as usual there were visits to all the member Churches in Hazel Grove over the five weeks and the series was enjoyed by all who attended.
- A meeting with local MP Andrew Stunell in June; as this was less well attended than we might have hoped, we decided not to repeat it next year unless a general election was called.
- Praise in the Park on Sunday 10th June; it was a lovely sunny afternoon with the Norbury Music Group and Philip Clarke from the Baptist Church hosting the event. Margaret Tait from the United Reformed Church gave a short talk and a number of people from the member churches joined us.
This was the last attendance by Eddie Gordon from the Methodist Church and we offered him and his family our very best wishes for his retirement.
Kathy Green (Secretary for CT in HG)
The Sunday lunch project provides contact for members of our community who live alone; they join the teams who cook the lunch and then all sit down together to eat and chat. Usually 12-15 members of the community are invited at any one time, and it is a great way of getting to know more folk in our area. The team members provide the transport to and from Wesley Street Methodist church.
The project was first started over 28 years ago by Churches Together. We are looking for helpers to join the teams, which are made up of members from each of the churches, and also local residents who are interested in joining the group.
Your commitment would be just twice a year on a Sunday and we especially welcome families with young children, as the invited guests are always happy to see and chat with the children.
Please give this some prayerful thought and if you feel you would like to find out more please contact Mrs Elizabeth Turner (0161 483 5206).