No immediate action was taken, however, towards building a hall for the problem arose as to where to site it. Before this could be resolved the country was once again at war, and by the time hostilities had ceased and building restrictions lifted, the price of land and materials had so risen that the pre-war sum was far from adequate.
The two plain glass side windows in the chancel were replaced by stained glass in the spring of 1938. The one in the north wall depicting the Madonna and Child was the gift of the Women's Help Society. The one of St. Thomas in the south wall was a gift of the parishioners.
Twelve months later new carved oak communion rails replaced the brass ones.
The outbreak of the second world war in September 1939 brought about a great change in the life of the parish for, although those who had been left at home tried to carry an as usual, the restrictions imposed by war time conditions greatly reduced their activities.
The bells no longer rang and the tower became an observation post for the local Home Guard during the time when the threat of invasion was thought to be imminent.
In October 1935 Mr Humphreys had been appointed Rural Dean of Stockport, thus in addition to his duties at Norbury he was given responsibility for clergy in neighbouring parishes. In June 1940 he was made an honorary Canon of Chester Cathedral.
Apart from his parochial and other duties he became engaged in a scheme of training for men in the armed forces who hoped to be ordained on their return home after hostilities ceased. This brought him into constant correspondence with men in all the theatres of the war.
In 1944 Canon Humphreys was appointed Chaplain to the Bishop of Chester and early in 1945 he was offered the living of St. Michaels, Shotwick, near Chester. His farewell to Norbury coincided with the ending of the war in Europe in the May of that year.