Sunday School Building
As soon as the building of the church had got under way in 1833, Mr Worsley turned his attention to the erection of a building to accommodate the Sunday School scholars. The original school room erected in 1759 on the corner of what is now Argyle and Grundy Street could not be used. According to Mr. Worsley, the scholars since 1831 had been meeting in a third storey garrett over some dwelling houses in Norbury.
Mr Legh of Lyme gave the plot of land and the entire chapel building at Mill Lane toward the project, and also the stone from the estate quarry, so that it could be faced up to match the church.
Even though the local farmers and carriers again volunteered their services, the prospects of raising the £300 toward its erection seemed rather bleak. Mr Worsley however took advantage of the fact that in the November of that year, the Government gave 'The National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church' £20,000 toward the erection of school rooms. He obtained a grant of £238 from the society for the new school.
On the 4th July 1835 the small building measuring 13 yards long by 8 yards wide at ground level, with a similar room above entered by a flight of outside stone steps, received the blessing of the incumbent curate. Mr Richard Orford (10) made a speech on that occasion encouraging the efficient management and support of the school.
Afterwards the teachers and about 200 scholars, along with their friends, and accompanied by a band, processed through the village to the Stockport Moor toll bar. The bar was at Bramhall Moor Lane.
On returning to the school the scholars were regaled with spiced buns and lemonade, while the adults "partook of suitable refreshment."
Mr Worsley and his helpers took the religious education of the local young people seriously. The scholars attended the Sunday School from 9:00 am till 12 noon, then from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm. After this they walked to the church in time for evensong at 3:00 pm.
A Sunday School Party in 1840 seems to have been rather a dour affair, when compared to a similar event today. We are told that:
Upwards of 160 teachers, scholars and friends sat down to a hearty tea, set out in a tastefully decorated room. After this the evening was spent in recitation of moral and religious pieces, in prose and verse, and in the singing of appropriate hymns and anthems, ably conducted by Mr Smith. During the evening about 60 books of various sizes were distributed as awards for conduct and attendance during the year. The party dispersed about 10 o'clock when, on leaving the room, each scholar was presented with a good substantial bun.
(10) Richard Orford was superintendant of Disley Sunday School and wrote a 'Spiritual Catechumen for the use of Sunday Schools'. He sat on the Norbury land enclosure enquiry. He lived for a time at Torkington Lodge.