It may seem strange to newcomers to the district and even to those of longer residence that, although there is a Norbury Church there does not appear to be any defined village or place of that name.
This has come about because of the Industrial Revolution that not only created Hazel Grove, formerly known as Bullock Smithy, and the Church and Parish of Norbury, but also brought to an end the ancient township system of local government.
The village took shape along a moorland road. At the beginning of the 18th century it was a ribbon of taverns and temporary dwellings, between where is now Torkington Road and Brewers Green.
As the transport system that was so essential to the industrial revolution developed so the village expanded with it. The civic administration was in the hands of the four townships of Bosden, Bramhall, Norbury, and Torkington, part of whose boundaries met in the proximity of London Road.
With the formation of the Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District Council in September 1900, these townships lost their individual authority. Then, with the passing of the years and the expansion of the district into a large suburban area, they have, except for Bramhall, almost lost their identity. These factors, combined with changes in the ecclesiastical boundaries, have led to the present parish of Norbury only vaguely resembling the township of that name.
- Approximate site of Norbury Chapel
- Norbury Hall circa 1300-1700
- Charity School
- St. Thomas' Church